Wednesday 7 November 2012

Crocheted Gloves

It’s official, I’m completely addicted to crochet!  I’ve been non-stop crocheting for the last few weeks.  Today I thought I’d share some mittens I made for myself.

mittens

You may wonder why they are fingerless, I could bluff you and say it was part of the design and I’d always meant them to be fingerless, but actually the truth is a bit less arty than that – I ran out of wool!

mittens2

I got the free pattern from here (I searched for crochet mittens), and adjusted it slightly.  The cuffs are slightly longer as I thought the cuffs in the pattern were a little short.  I also cast off after row 12 rather than continuing to the end.

This was actually my second attempt at this pattern.  I made my daughter a pair of mittens with some left over pink wool.  With hers I used a size 6 hook and chunky wool and they came out pretty big, slightly more like boxing gloves than mittens, but she loves them anyway.  Sorry about the bad photo here, but sadly it had started to get dark by the time she got home from school and I could steal her glove to photograph!  The finger tips and the thumb are actually cream!

daisygloves

For my gloves I still used chunky wool, but this time used a size 4 hook, and they’re just the right size, and lovely and thick, almost like a wool blanket. I tested them out on the school run today & I’m pleased to report that my hands were lovely and toasty (even if my fingertips got a bit chilly!)

More crochet next time!

Sally