Monday 17 January 2011

Messenger bag & aprons

A couple of weeks ago I was wandering around the charity shops, trying to find some wool jumpers to make felt from, when I came across these tea towels:
They only cost £3 or £4 for all of them, and as a bonus they were tied with some white cotton tapey-type thing (sorry don't know what its really called!).  I fell in love with the apple/pear print, and bought them.  Until recently I didn't know what I was going to do with them, but then inspiration struck - I made 2 aprons.

You can't really see the white tape on the green apron, but its the tape that the tea towels were tied together with.  I simply used 2 of the towels as they were and cut the apple/pear print into thirds to make big pockets and sewed it on.  Then I added tape to the top of the towel and voila - 2 simple aprons, with very little hemming required.

I thought afterwards that I could've made a full apron by sewing another tea towel on the top to make the bib piece, but that's a job for another day.

Today I've also made this messenger-type bag:
Am planning on making a simple pattern/tutorial for it, so watch out for that hopefully tomorrow.

Sally
xxx